I have been working on writing a lesson plan. I now have 6 weeks of Science and Geography! This is going to make my Saturday night lesson planning session more efficient and *HOPEFULLY* less stressful.
One thing I’ve prayed about for my blog is the ability to share how we homeschool. I am in no means an expert. After all, this is the beginning of our 4th year. Still, I know there are not an abundance of blogs that focus on the middle school and high school years. It is my go.al to become a resource, an inspiration of sorts, for those parents venturing into the heavier years of learning.
With this goal in mind I’d like to share our lesson plan for this week.
Lesson Plan for 10/7 to 10/11
Bella and Gabby will continue working through their Teaching Textbooks.
Gabby is independently going through IEW’s Student Writing Intensive Level B, a program we reviewed earlier this year. My goal is to get her through the rest of the program before the end of this year. Gabby is also writing a book.
Bella is independently going through Wordsmith Apprentice. She is also writing in her daily journal.
The girls also have handwriting, French, Logic and Reading Comprehension.
This week we will focus on Geography as a field of study. We will be answering the following questions:
- What are the five themes of geography?
- Who are the founders of geography?
- What are the branches of geography?
- What careers are available in geography?
We are using Hands of a Child’s International Quest for our study. The girls will be taking notes from various websites and writing a simple essay.
I am excited to be starting our Earth Science! This week we are answering the question, “What are minerals?”
We will be reading pages 5-9 from our spine book. Topics are:
- Chemistry Primer: an introduction to the periodic tables and atoms. We will watch a Bill Nye video about this subject.
- Element’s of the Earth’s Crust: This will be a review. We will watch a Discovery Education Video. The girls will complete Layer’s of the Earth activity for their science notebooks.
- Crystal Structure: We read about crystal structure and how crystals are formed. This will be a hands-on day! We will grow a crystal in the sun. Make Rock Candy. Create an engineering model of a crystal using spaghetti and marshmallows!
- Crystal Systems: We learn about the 7 types of Crystal systems. The girls will spend time exploring Crystal Age (website) to find examples of the different crystal types. Follow-up with a 7-flap foldable book for the science notebook.
Monday we will be joining my sister’s family for Art. We have chosen Geography through Art for this year’s inspiration. This week we are creating treasure maps, tea-staining them and then sending the kids on a treasure hunt using the maps they created!
This is a new element of Charlotte Mason I would like to incorporate this year. We are starting with the hymn What a Friend We Have in Jesus. This week we will read about the song, the writer and listen to it every day. They will be encouraged to learn the words and sing along.
We are starting Week 3 of Anne Elliott’s Foundations 2: Christ our Messiah. We will read Matthew 5 to 7. Our memory verse is Micah 5:2.
This week the two are joined. We will be studying pumpkins. The kids will be dissecting a pumpkin. We will look at with a microscope. We will try to roast pumpkin seeds. For poetry the kids will write cinquain describing the pumpkin.